Hate From Everyone?

I am reading The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison and it is a very interesting book because I get to see the lives of people who were considered “different” during that time period. The main conflict within this book is that Claudia, who is African American, is supposedly hated by almost every one. For example in the beginning of the book, Claudia almost gets into an argument with an older white woman and later on, her mom gets mad at her for falling ill and not being able to do any work. I think these problems may be solved by either Claudia stepping for herself to the people who treat her with disrespect or just try to wait it out in hopes that these vicious human beings will stop treating her in a cruel manner. Also, something I thought was interesting was that in the very first paragraph of the book, Claudia talks about how everyone has experienced hatred in some sort of way which may serve as a purpose to give the audience an idea of the topic she will be explaining and setup the mood for the horrible situations which may occur.

The topic of racial discrimination is similar to what I have seen in many slavery documents but not to the same extent, as of now. Currently, Claudia is discriminated because she is surrounded by white people which makes her different in society because she is black. Claudia is also hated at home which is interesting because I would think that living in a society where the “outsiders” are mean to you, your family should have your back and try to make you feel better instead of putting you down like the “outsiders”. So far, I like the structure of the book because there is repetition which really enhances the message the author is trying to convey to the audience. Also, i really like how the narrator describes various things with immense details. For example, when describing puke, Claudia states that it looked like an uncooked egg and explained the colors of it as well. It was not the most pleasant part to read but it was just interesting how the author can use so much detail to describe such a little thing. What I do not like about the book so far is that it is kind of hard to follow. For example, there are always new characters being introduced out of nowhere and I have to reread the pages a few times because sometimes I can’t even tell which characters are talking to each other in the dialogue. Overall, I am really into this book because I am interested to see how Claudia will overcome all the hatred that is thrown at her and I think throughout the book she may be portrayed a very brave character due to the fact that she pushes through all the troubles. I am also excited to read more about how these “different” people were treated and how they dealt with discrimination.